Are you trying to decide if your son or daughter should be play at the instructional or Minors level? Instructional is for children ages 5-9. Minors baseball is for kids 7-11, and Minors softball is for girls 7-12.
Here are some questions you should ask yourself before making a decision.
1) Has your child ever played baseball?
2) Can your child consistently field a ground ball?
3) Can they catch a fly ball?
4) Can your child field the ball and accurately throw it to first base?
5) Do they understand what to do once they hit the ball?
6) Have they ever hit off of a live pitcher?
These are the key things we focus on building in instructional. If you answered more than one of the questions with no, then your child should most likely be placed in instructional. If you answered the first question no, then they should be placed in instructional.
Instructional is also machine pitch and we start to play by baseball rules, meaning the kids can strike out, take more than one base and be thrown or tagged out.